Back on april fools day my external drive fell off my desk, and stopped working soon after. The thing about that drive was it was not only my back up, but it was also the place I had all the unedited versions of my photos from the last 15+ years. So the idea of losing all of that was painful. I knew what I had to do to get my files off but at the time I didn’t have the money. In fact I didn’t for the longest time. But I finally did it, just barely, and it’s all on my new drive. The only difference between this and the other before is the last one was 6 Terabytes while this one is 8.
When I got the drive there was four folders everything was in.
- “!=Contains bad sectors, and missing folder name and location, but maybe working”
- “!=Contains bad sectors, and sorted by extension, but maybe working”
- “!=Missing folder name and location”
- and “!=Sorted by extension”
I have all the photos in the missing folder name and location sorted, which took all day. Now the hard part is the one sorted by extension because there is easily 10’s of thousands there and I didn’t even know where to start. There are lost files and so far it’s in the very low hundreds. I’m going to hate these next few days.